Subject: Re: booting problems after install on IPC
To: None <mmmckpww@stud.man.ac.uk>
From: Volker Borchert <bt@insiders-fs.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/09/2001 17:10:49

Read around on http://www.sunhelp.org/

|> however..when i try 'boot disk' or 'boot
|> disk0/1/2/3' or boot /sbus/esp/sd@3,0 or 0,0 or
                                     ^ this ^ is the drive's SCSI ID

Generally you'd be best off if you (at least in the beginning) follow
the Sun-ish tradition of having disks at ID 0-3, tapes at ID 4-5, CD
at ID 6. Many old Sparcs like the IPC have the aliases disk{0,1,2,3}
set to ID 3,1,2,0 respectively for reasons not really worth knowing.

|> a few other wild stabs in the dark i get:
|>
|> boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 file and args: bsd
|> scsi device 3,0 is not responding

Well if your drive is at ID 5, it won't respond to requests for ID 3.

|> sparc. The ID on the hdd can be changed by
|> jumpers as far as i can see..altering it from
|> 0/1/2 just seems to move the buggering target
|> around on 'probe-scsi' and dmesg.

This is actually what you need to do. ID are 0 to 7, the jumpers are
binary digits, 0 being 2^0, 1 being 2^1, 2 being 2^2.

Try setting your drive's ID to 1 (only jumper 0) and "boot disk1".
(Why 1, not 0? To stay clear of the 3<->0 remapping mentioned above.)