Subject: booting problems after install on IPC
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter W Waterland <mmmckpww@stud.man.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/09/2001 15:38:56
Hi there :) I am new to sparcs maybe someone can
help me out.TIA..

I have a sparc IPC w/ 36mb of ram. rom rev 2.6
serial #1264830
sbus slot 2 has a cgthree on it.

My main problem is this: i cant boot from the
internal 1 gig scsi after a successful install
of openbsd (i know its not netbsd..but if you
can help me out..i will gladly try netbsd in the
IPX i have) via FTP from my freebsd box.  I can
successfully mount sd0 to check if the files are
actually there with the install floppy..and they
are. Which makes me think the drive is ok.
Dmesg from the boot floppy brings this up:
sd0 at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0: <HP C2247-300,
0BE4> scsi2 0/direct fixed.
sd0: 1003mb, 2051cyl,13 head, 77 sec 512 bytes
persec, 2054864 sec total.

'probe-scsi' at the openboot version 2 prom does
this:
target 5
unit 0 disk HP C2247-300 0BE4

so even the openboot prom sees it :)

however..when i try 'boot disk' or 'boot
disk0/1/2/3' or boot /sbus/esp/sd@3,0 or 0,0 or
a few other wild stabs in the dark i get:

boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 	 file
and args: bsd
scsi device 3,0 is not responding
cant open boot device.

This is obviously reducing my enjoyment of the
little lunchbox :). 'test diskx' yields a return
code of -1.

I have no experience of scsi before..but the
drive is connected directly to the mobo in the
sparc. The ID on the hdd can be changed by
jumpers as far as i can see..altering it from
0/1/2 just seems to move the buggering target
around on 'probe-scsi' and dmesg.

Please someone put me out of my misery on this
and i'll buy /send you a pint ;)

Pete.