Subject: Re: Question about activating SoftUpdates.
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/07/2001 19:14:12
Brad Knowles said:

>	I believe that the only reason for this is that softupdates
>under NetBSD is not well implemented, and therefore is not
>sufficiently stable to leave turned on.  If/when the NetBSD
>implementation is brought up to the levels where it is under FreeBSD
>that this will be much less of a problem.

Well, I just looked at the docs for FreeBSD 4.4 on www.freebsd.org.

It appears that FreeBSD has the same two problems with softupdates
that NetBSD has.

1. delayed freeing of blocks on filesystems that are close to full.

2. loss of data during crashes as filesystem updates lag writes to
   the disk.

So I will continue to use plain, old FFS until softupdates matures.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com