Subject: Re: using eeprom to find out how to reboot ?
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/06/2001 16:50:04
    Date:        Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:23:29 +1100 (EST)
    From:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>

  | You missed my point (or maybe I didn't make it clear).

Perhaps because you said ...

  | > > it won't boot back into netbsd on a
  | > > reboot/crash.

After a crash, the only info that is available to be used is what is
in the prom.   So, if you want to reboot to your current system, then
you have to put the boot info for it there.

  | > > Is it possible to look in the eeprom/ofw to find out the path we booted
  | > > from and pass that back with reboot ?

The former part is possible, more than that, necessary - that's how NetBSD
finds the correct root partition in the first place.

I don't think that the info is currently exported, but it probably
should be (via sysctl to machdep.booted_device or something - just like
machdep.booted_kernel)

Then, rather than altering reboot to do what you want, you could
trivially create a script that uses those sysctl variables to send
args to reboot that you're currently doing manually (on the architectures
where this is possible at all of course).

kre