Subject: Re: Performance.
From: Tom Ponsford <tponsford@theriver.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/2001 10:59:03
Jason Wright wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:31:54PM +0000, Julian Coleman wrote:
> > Don't think there is one.  A 4/600MP board should just slot in the chassis.
> > Then you could have (say) a 75Mhz MBUS CPU, or even 2 when SMP is supported.
> >
> Don't think so... no CPU's faster than SM51 are supported by the 4/600

No thats wrong. I have an old 4/330 that I put a 600mp board into. The
600mp board are the same for 630(33),670(370), and 690mp sparcstations.
With 2 mbus slots they can hold 2 dual processor modules (4cpu's)

To run the faster HyperSparc modules you need the latest bootprom 2.14H.
I have Four 180MHZ Hypersparcs on mine and it dualboots Linux and
Solaris. Sun EOL the 600's about 4 years ago, and if you look aroung
good deal can be had. The fast Hypersparcs are used in Sparc 10's and
20's so there is lots of competition for these modules used.

I recently booted OpenBSD on the 630 in uniprocessor mode and it ran
fine!!. I have not tested it on NetBSD, but it should run OK as I
believe the code is shared with OBSD.

I hope that SMP can be included in the sparc port, hopefully in 1.6. I
would love to run NetBSD on it :)

Tom

--
No Microsoft products were used in the production of this e-mail