Subject: RE: FTP installs? was RE IPC issues
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/2001 12:59:20
At 12:48 PM -0600 11/1/01, David Woyciesjes wrote:
>	Yeah, that's what I mean. *BSD does it fine, but that's about it.
>IIRC, none of the Linux variants do it...
[...]

I've installed Debian a few times via ftp (well, usually http) on various
architectures.

I know SGI machines can install IRIX over a network with no removable media
whatsoever, though it's not quite 'by ftp'. I've installed MacOS (non-X) on
machines with only a single 'network access' boot floppy, with another
nearby mac serving up the install.

There's a few other OSes out there that can do convinient network installs.

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada           --           http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/