Subject: console and ttya
To: Port-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/2001 10:53:09
Greetings!
    If the entries for "console" and "ttya" in ttys(5)
are both "on", init(8) spawns getty(8)'s on each of these
devices.
    This is fine *if* you have a keyboard attached.
*But*, if you boot headless, you end up with two
getty(8)'s competing for the port.
    If you will *always* boot headless, then you can just
disable the ttya entry.  But, if you ever *do* boot with
a keyboard attached, you then lose the getty running on
ttya.
    I would like to stick a modem on ttya for use as a
dial-in console (ttyb being used for a printer).  But,
if the machine is ever rebooted with a keyboard attached,
I will no longer be able to access the machine remotely
(even though ttya will no longer be *the* console).

    Is there a workaround for this?

Thx,
--don