Subject: Re: DNS Gurus: Assistance needed!
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Tim Franklin <tim@pelican.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/20/2001 09:57:03
Hi Bruce,

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 12:57:45AM -0700, Bruce Lane wrote:
>          My setup: NetBSD 1.5.1 on SPARC IPC's (a pair) as my primary and
> secondary DNS. BIND version is 8.2.3 if I recall correctly.
>
>          My situation: I have my primary domain (bluefeathertech.com) set
> up just fine. Everything works great. The issue is that I also own two
> other domains, bluefeathertech.net and bluefeathertech.org, that I want my
> DNS boxes to become authoritative for.
>
>          My dilemma: How the FRELL do I tweak my zone files to (1), become
> authoritative for both my other domains; (2), forward any requests for
> www.bluefeathertech.net or www.bluefeathertech.org to
> www.bluefeathertech.com, and (3); Do so without stretching my sanity to the
> breaking point?

1) Add to your named.conf:

zone "bluefeathertech.net" {
	type master;
	file "master/fwd/net/bluefeathertech";
};

zone "bluefeathertech.org" {
	type master;
	file "master/fwd/org/bluefeathertech";
};

Replace the "file" statements with wherever it is you want to keep your zone
files, of course.

2) If you make a copy of the bluefeathertech.com zone file as the zone file
for .net and .org, doing a s/com/net/ or s/com/org/ if you have an explicit
references to .com in it, any DNS lookups for www.bluefeathertech.org will
return the same IP address as www.bluefeathertech.com (and for any other host
too).

You'll also need to make sure that your web server is set up to know that all
of these hosts refer to the same web site (if you say what you're using, either
I or someone else here can probably help with that, if you need it).

3) Buy O'Reilly's "DNS & BIND", it's an invaluable resource for learning how
to run DNS.

Regards,
Tim.