Subject: Re: tcp wrappers
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/18/2001 13:24:01
On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:14:04AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 05:06:38PM +0100, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:
>
>  > why is tcp wrappers not available for the sparc? i tried making it from the
>  > pkgsrc tree but it flatly denied me...
>
> Dunno why that failed --- but you don't need to build tcp-wrappers...
> NetBSD's inetd(8) already includes all the functionality (as do several
> other network daemons) .. you just need to fill in your hosts.allow and
> hosts.deny files.

It's not that there's an issue on sparc, it's that the package is there
for people who use pkgsrc on other platforms - in this case, SunOS.

ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM=      SunOS-*-*       # in NetBSD base system

The error message could perhaps be worded differently, when you've been
excluded by ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM.

As Jason said, tcpwrappers is already 'built in' on NetBSD, including
libwrap, in case you're compiling other network daemons.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me