Subject: Re: Ultra30 support
To: None <mikem@noop.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/2001 19:42:52

| On a lark, I just tried booting the 1.5.2 miniroot on an Ultra-30.
|
| I didn't expect much, since the Ultra-30 isn't on the supported
| hardware list anyhow, but here's the result of the boot, below.
|
| Is Ultra-30 support expected in a future release, say, 1.5.3?

The 1.5.x kernel for sparc64 is basically static.  Due to huge differences
in areas such as locore handling, pmap, and console attach between
1.5.x and -current, we are not backporting fixes and enhancements.
(That't not to say that if someone really wants to take the time to
figure out *how* to backport those things to the 1.5 branch, he wouldn't
be welcome to.)

I would recommend trying the -current kernel on that machine.  I
understand that OpenBSD (which is practically the same kernel) works
on that machine.  However, since nobody working on NetBSD has one of
those machines, don't expect support for it to magically appear.

| What is the lineage of the Ultra-30 motherboard?  What's its closest
| relative?  Ultra-60?  E250?  Netra-T1?

The U30 is pretty much a single-processor predecessor to the U60.

| | psycho0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfffc2000
| | psycho: impl 0, version 4: bus range 0 to 0; PCI bus 0panic: could not get psycho interrupt-map
| | kdb breakpoint at 0x12778f0

This is almost certainly fixed in -current.

Eduardo