Subject: PPP server + windos client
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <UberTechnoid@Home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/15/2001 06:59:18
Lacking a PCMCIA nic for my recently aquired toshiba notebook I thought
I'd use PPPD.

I have some experience with PPP on BSD via my Atari Mega St running MiNT.
I recall it REALLY wanting to communicate with a modem and the destination
machine (ppp server) also REALLY wanted a modem.  I eventually gave them
both real modems and a phone line and got things going.

This was a half-assed solution as it required the use of two telephone
lines to connect two machines within four feet of each other.

OS/2's PPP server wants a modem, NetBSD's too, Windows too, OpenBSD too.

I think I have things working to a degree.  When I hit the sparc's ttya
port from a terminal or machine running a term emulator I get PPP garbage
signifying the PPPD is sending handshaking requests, but the Windos client
says 'dialing' and eventually times out with an error 777 - again, a
modem.  WTF?  I'm thinking it can't be that the direct cable connection
setup in Win2k wants a modem, so it must want someting else - like DTR or
some other line to be pulled high....? I even went to the effort of using
an adapter I made for my Data General Walkabout portable terminal which
ties DTR high allways at both ends.  No change.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeffrey S. Worley
Asheville, NC USA