Subject: Re: New Kernel gives "inappropriate file type...."
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Cottrell <tamino@wolfhut.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/13/2001 16:22:32
On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:44:31 -0400, UberTechnoid@Home.com wrote:
> As a test I made a CP copy of my netBSD.old kernel and tried to boot it.
> I get the same error.  If I MV my netbsd.old kernel to netbsd and boot it
> works fine. If I "b sd(0,0,0)netbsd.old it also works fine.

Eduardo's theory seems the most likely... maybe you could do a "df -k"
and paste it into an email?

I usually use a 32 meg root filesystem... it's 256 megs on this machine
because I got nervous about having a RAID setup that I might potentially
be unable to access in an emergency, so I stashed away a full copy of
/usr including compilers in a special hideyhole in the root filesystem.
That shouldn't really be necessary with or without RAID, it's just me
being paranoid.

I was curious about this, though... not because of it being potentially
related to your problem, just because I didn't know what it meant:

> I've been running NetBSD sparc on my Sun4 Sparcstation 4/330 for a couple
> of years off and on without trouble.  Course the Miniroot is broken but
> the Floppy.fs still works for install boot.

In what way are you still using the miniroot and/or the boot floppies?
Usually they're just used for initial install.

	~Ben