Subject: SCSI disk problems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.neverhere.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/31/2001 01:10:07
I am not sure wether or not this problem is directly related to NetBSD,
but it seems to be, so I will get on with explaining...

I have a Seagate ST51260N hard disk hooked up via external drive enclosure
to my SS5/110 running NetBSD 1.5.1. Everything seems to work fine - NetBSD
formats the disk and installs happily, and ran for about 2 days straight
before first reboot after I installed it.

Now, if anything happens that causes the machine to reboot abnormally, the
system performs an fsck_ffs on reboot and the disk stops cold with "Check
error on CDB" or something of that sort, says "Media error" and complains
that it cannot read block so-and-so. I would normally say that the drive
is at fault, but I had this drive previously installed in a PC running
FreeBSD with no such problems when running fsck. Plus, on the FreeBSD PC I
achieved nearly 92% usage (2.1GB disk) and never encountered any block
errors. Even Solaris' 'format' and 'analyze' tools found the disk to be
OK, and Solaris never had any problems running fsck.

I'm not particularily SCSI-knowledgable, but my termination seems
fine. Could this be related to the tagged queueing bug, something strange
in the system, or am I just an idiot? :)

There's so much bullshit in space that there couldn't possibly be any good
reason for any god to wish to create it.