Subject: Re: DEC Multias or SS1+ & SS2?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/30/2001 13:19:33
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Greywolf wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Volker Borchert wrote:
>
># |> If you're going to run r* services (and/or telnet) on your internal
># |> network anyway then the only way to stop them from being used from the
># |> firewall is to filter connections from the firewall to them
>#
># That is indeed the idea. Anyway, who needs r* (except maybe rmt) in
># the days of (open)ssh and GHz CPUs...
>
>Because not everyone has GHz CPUs.  Think of who you're addressing on
>the list. :-)

I work for a University graphics and visualization resource center.  We
use ssh where we can, but there are some very graphics intensive
applications where X11 forwarding through ssh can introduce a level of
latency which interferes with usability.  Therefore, tcp_wrapped r
services hidden behind our firewall are very important to our
researchers.  When you're working with a several hundred atom molecule
the graphics hardware has a hard enough time keeping up without any
additional latency introduced.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead
of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit
their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.
	- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"