Subject: Atlanta, GA, USA: Free barebones SS2 w/RAM
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/28/2001 12:10:39
I have a SPARCstation 2, free for the taking.  (I'm getting an Ultra soon
and really need to remove this rather heavy item from my collection.)

If you're not familiar with the SS2, it's a SPARC v7 machine at 40MHz -- not
zippy, but plenty useful for a DNS server or somesuch; these boxes ran some
of the root DNS servers once upon a time.  It has the Sun pizzabox size
case, 16"x16"x3".

===

This unit has:

* Floppy drive in sled

* 40MB RAM (or maybe 52MB RAM, I need to double-check; all 16 30-pin SIMM
  sockets are populated with *something* and at least one bank is 4MB)

* Usual SS2 ports (Sun kbd/mouse, mini-DIN audio, AUI ethernet, 2 serials,
  50-pin SCSI high density, two internal SBus)

* I'll throw in an AUI transceiver of your choice (BNC or 10baseT), or maybe
  one of each; I have too many spare transceivers too....  :)

It does NOT have:

* HD, HD sled, or HD cables (although I'll try to dig up some short cables
  of the proper type)

* The funny screw clasps that hold the top of the case on tight (the top is
  loose, but can still hold weight on top fine)

* Two of the three SBus slot rear cover plates

And:

* NVRAM battery is dead.  This machine can still be booted by setting the
  hostid manually, once per power-on (I'll supply instructions and a pointer
  to the Sun NVRAM/hostid FAQ), or by replacing the chubby IDPROM IC (needed
  part number also on NVRAM/hostid FAQ).

* Top of case needs a little cleaning; it has a couple Coca-Cola can
  "rings".  :-P

===

If you're in the Atlanta, GA, USA area, it's free for pick-up.  The pizzabox
weighs 41lb (18kg), so it may be a little expensive to ship, but I'm willing
to pack it up if you pay shipping costs.

First affirmative response gets it, although preference will be given to
first local pick-up response within 1 day.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/