Subject: Re: Sparc Classic Install
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/2001 02:34:38
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Bruce Lane wrote:

# On Thursday 19 July 2001 21:14, Erik E. Fair wrote:
#
# > That is NOT true! It will work with ANY standard SCSI drive that
# > obeys the IDENT command, per specification. If "probe-scsi" isn't
# > seeing a drive, it's disconnected or dead.
#
# 	Please calm down. It is not necessary -- heck, it's downright rude -- to
# violently contradict anyone without listening to all the facts.
#
# 	Those facts are: I have had a number of cases of SPARC IPC's, IPX's,
# Classics, and even SPARC 5's where I've installed a non-Sun SCSI drive,
# had it work perfectly in the OS, and fail to respond properly to
# 'probe-scsi.'
#
# 	Perhaps my experiences are the result of firmware oddities. Whatever the
# case, the possibility that 'probe-scsi' may be failing on Jack's drive
# because it's not equipped with Sun firmware cannot be ignored.

I'd say that it was an OpenProm oddity (i.e. firmware, as you surmised).

I've run with IBM, Seagate, Fujitsu, Micrapolis, Quantum and CDC SCSI
drives and never had a one of them fail to respond to a probe-scsi unless
the drive was physically unusable (the sound of coffee grinding -- except
worse and unabating -- is a pretty good indicator that the drive is
physically unusable).

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Linux without the hype.