Subject: Re: Sparc Classic Install
To: None <fair@clock.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/2001 00:41:48
>Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:14:17 -0700
>From: "Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org>
>
>At 20:50 -0700 7/19/01, Bruce Lane wrote:
>
>>	'probe-scsi' will only work with hard drives that have Sun-specific
>>firmware. When I've tried it with other drives, the result is usually a
>>bizarre error message of some sort. However, the disk itself is actually
>>perfectly usable.
>
>That is NOT true! It will work with ANY standard SCSI drive that
>obeys the IDENT command, per specification. If "probe-scsi" isn't
>seeing a drive, it's disconnected or dead.

That has been my experience too.  My Sparc Classic X sees all kinds of
oddball hard drives.  It even saw my DEC TK50Z tape drive, which is a
dinosaur and certainly doesn't contain any Sun firmware.

I did get some strange behavior from probe-scsi before I unterminated
the internal drive that I had installed.  I had incorrectly assumed
that it was the end of the scsi chain and should be terminated.