Subject: Re: Sparc Classic Install
To: Jack Morgan <jack@tlug.gr.jp>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/19/2001 20:50:52
On Thursday 19 July 2001 20:24, you wrote:

> I'm trying to install NetBSD on a Sparc Classic.
> The problem is that the scsi disk isn't being detected
> with "probe-scsi". I've tried swapping the disks but
> no luck. Any suggestions?

	'probe-scsi' will only work with hard drives that have Sun-specific
firmware. When I've tried it with other drives, the result is usually a
bizarre error message of some sort. However, the disk itself is actually
perfectly usable.

	Also, keep in mind that a SPARCstation expects its primary boot drive to
be set for SCSI ID 3. Make sure you've set yours accordingly.

	Good hunting.

--
Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com