Subject: Re: [entropy@tappedin.com: Help with YP]
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/28/2001 23:44:20
>Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:24:44 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
>
># Subject: Help with YP
>
>Ah, my bread and butter.
>
># Hello,
>#
># I am running a YP master server on zippy and a YP slave server on
># tardis.  Both are running NetBSD-current from about 1 month ago.
>#
># Everything seems to be working OK for other NetBSD client systems.
>#
># I'm trying to add a Solaris 7 client, and I can't figure out how to
># add the shadow map.  I added "shadow" to the "all" lines in the yp
># Makefiles on zippy, and did a "make" in /var/yp, which built the
># shadow.byname.db file.  But it complains:
>#
># yppush: error finding master for shadow.byname in grok: No such map in
># server's domain
>#
># The slave server doesn't get the new map, and "ypcat shadow" doesn't
># work.  What do I need to do to add this map to the maps that the yp
># servers know about?
>
>When you say "shadow", first of all, are you sure that the shadows
>are compatible between Solaris and NetBSD?  I seem to recall that being
>a problem.

Yes, there is some stuff in the NetBSD yp Makefiles that lets you
generate a solaris-compatible shadow map.

>What's ypwhich -m say?

It lists all the maps in zippy.local:/var/yp (except shadow.byname)
and shows the server as zippy.local.

>You may have to run a 'ypinit -s zippy' on your Sol7 client.
>You may also need to make good'n'sure that your sol7 client is actually
>binding to your master.

I don't want the Solaris machine to be a slave server.  I want it to
be a client.  And my NetBSD slave server isn't seeing the
shadow.byname map either, so I don't think making the Solaris machine
a slave would make any difference.

I'm sure it's binding to the master; the bootup looks fine, and I can
"ypcat" any map from the server.

>Do you have a ypservers map?

Yes, it contains:

tardis.local
zippy.local

>Just some stuff to ask over.  Hope it helps.

The problem really seems to be that the NetBSD YP master doesn't know
that I want it to serve this shadow.byname file to clients.  I've read
all the YP man pages I can find, and I can't find any clue as to where
this gets configured.  Is there a hardcoded list of maps somewhere in
the ypserv code that I need to modify?  Or just a configuration file
I've missed in my searching?

Thanks,
entropy