Subject: Re: SCSI probs on spork 10
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/27/2001 19:58:12
At 23:36 Uhr +0200 25.6.2001, Jim Bernard wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:09:15PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 07:36:30PM -0600, Jim Bernard wrote:
>> >   I'm still seeing a few scsi parity errors during the execution of the
>> > /etc/daily script, though.  (But there were none when I ran the script by
>> > hand just after first booting the kernel.)
>>
>> OK, so it's possible these parity errors degenerate in more serious SCSI
>> problems when tagged queuing is enabled (highter load on the bus).
>> It looks like this SCSI bus has a problem.
>
>  Even though there has never been a scsi parity error with any older (than
>early April) kernel?
>
>  I tried tearing it apart, checking termination, etc., but nothing changed.
>I haven't yet tried swapping out cables or swapping positions of hardware on
>the bus.  That's largely because the kernel dependence seems so strongly
>suggestive of a software problem.  But I could be persuaded to check further.

Reminds me of a problem I saw with pre-1.5 on a ss10. The two Quantum Atlas
III disks had worked just fine in a ss2 with NetBSD before.

But the ss10 with the same disks barely made it to multiuser before being
swamped with "parity errors". Replacing NetBSD with Solaris 7 fixed the
problem.

Seems the NetBSD esp driver has a problem with at least _some_ host adapter
hardware...

	hauke