Subject: Re: Returned mail: see transcript for details
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD list <netbsd@mrynet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/2001 20:58:26
Jim Bernard wrote:
>   OK, I did this, and the resulting kernel has now been running for 4 days
> without hanging, so I guess tagged queuing was the culprit in some way.
>
>   I'm still seeing a few scsi parity errors during the execution of the
> /etc/daily script, though.  (But there were none when I ran the script by
> hand just after first booting the kernel.)

I have been running with the commented-out TQING code as well.  All is
fine here with that modification on my Sparc 5 and Sparc 10.

Andrey Petrov had contacted me and requested that I try to log the
debugging output after setting the ncr controller to debugging mode,
but the disk hanging happens immediately after logging in on the
console.  So, I'm not able to provide any SCSI debug logging from here.
He indicates his Ultra has no problems, however, with the tagged queuing.

It seems that perhaps it is only an issue on the slower machines.

Additionally, a patch sent to the list by john heasley doesn't work
any differently for me either.

I have, however, submitted a report through sendpr.

Are there any Sparc 5 or 10 (or 20) users out there actually running
the latest kernel code with no on-board SCSI problems?

-scott