Subject: Re: [support@opera.com: (ID-number:13812) Petition for Solaris/NetBSD/SPARC
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/18/2001 17:12:50
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:57:24PM +0200, Oliver.Bruckauf@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > Linux emulation will only work on i386 and Solaris emulation only on Sparcs.
> > So what works for you will depend on the platform you think about.

	Linux emulation also works on alpha and powerpc (I don't think
	m68k and arm has been completed yet), and solaris emulation should
	also work on i386.

> i'm anti-i386, so.....  :)
>
> > I think they're talking FreeBSD/i386 emulating Linux/i386 here.
>
> ok, that's why i'm checking.

	It also applies to NetBSD/i386, and NetBSD/powerpc (though I
	think that may also still be underway). I use the pkgsrc opera
	on my i386 box. Its passable, though it does have some quite
	annoying quirks.

> > Given the topic of this list I would assume that you're thinking of
> > replacing the browser on some NetBSD/sparc box. So you should wait for their Solaris
> > release and try to get that running with the Solaris emulation in NetBSD.
>
> well, i'm running Solaris on my workstation (NetBSD unsuporterd hardware) and
> so i'll benefit immediately as soon as this is released.

	Out of curiosity, what sparc box do you have?

> i was just checking the other points since i've been trying to spearhead a
> NetBSD/* port of Opera.  i'm a huge fan of both Opera and NetBSD, and so i
> can only see a win if this were to happen.

	You need to convince them enough people would want/buy it. Maybe
	put together a list of people and number of copies per arch
	interest?

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --