Subject: Re: New to the club...
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Marius Kirsch <skirsch@moebius.inka.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/18/2001 16:13:36
On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 01:14:36PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> If you rip out the floopy drive, you can theoretically put a second
> drive in the top half of the case.  We used to do it with IPXen all
> the time (3-port SCSI ribbon-style cable required).

You can? As far as I know, the scsi connection in an IPX is not part of
the scsi bus, but is just a piece of ribbon cable *off* the scsi
bus. (Which you can easily see from the fact that the hard disk is not
supposed to be terminated, and the terminators are on the motherboard.)
Sun is stretching the scsi specs with this, and it is only inside the
specs because they keep the cable shorter than 10cm. I definitely don't
think putting a longer cable with a second hard drive on it is within
the specs.

--
Yours, Sebastian Kirsch <skirsch@moebius.inka.de>

This sentence no verb.