Subject: Re: New to the club...
To: 'port-sparc@netbsd.org' <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/2001 22:30:16
Hi,

the machines you got have limited memory capabilities (I the
"128MB is good, 256MB is better" person), so get as much RAM as
you can get (or afford). My IPC with 48MB RAM gives a pretty fine
web-, mail-, (small) ftpserver (allthough I really miss the case on my
desktop;)). If you (like me) are lucky enough to have access to
"tons" of old PC 30 pin simms, try them, some work, some do not, I
have not found a pattern. In general, 9 chip simms will allmost
allways work but I have not gotten simms with more than 4MB to
work. If you are willing to pay the price memoryx
("http://www.memoryx.net/") sometimes have the 64MB sbus board
for the SS2 (about USD 80,--, not a bargain but it gives a nice
128MB!).

If you want to use them on the desktop, take care of the noise! If
you are willing to do some work, you can exchange the fans to high
quality, high performance, silent ones from eg. YS Tech or Papst.
That really makes a difference! I put some heatsink/fan to the
CPU/chips of the IPC as I have it running 24/7, that blocks all sbus
slots but I "feel" better ;).

The IPC is a real nice looking and behaving X-Terminal and an
excellent eye catcher when paired with a 15" TFT display (I have
never tested the audio, but it should work).

A keyboard/mouse combo will cost about USD 100,-- here (new).

HTH

mike