Subject: Re: sparc64 amd weirdness
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, sjg@juniper.net>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/08/2001 23:35:02
	At home I have 1.5 running on a couple of sparcs, which have no
	trouble doing automounting from a 1.4.2 i386, nor does a freebsd
	machine.

	I'm still no closer to getting it to work on a sparc64 here at work.

amd on sparc64 does have some issues.  I find that it does not
recognize when I change CDROMs.  There are probably some latent
LP64BE bugs lying around somewhere.  However, I have never had any
problems with /net mounts either from the sparc64 box or the
other way around.

	Given the map:

	amd.homes:
	/defaults            type:=link
	*                    fs:=/home/callisto/${key}

	amd.home:
	/defaults            type:=nfs;opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,nodev
	# /home/localhost always points /home/<machine>
	localhost	     type:=link;fs:=${host}
	callisto             type:=nfs;rhost:=${key};rfs:=/vol/vol2/homes

	amd.host:
	/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
	*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,nodev

	referencing /homes/sjg/tmp should create:

	/homes/sjg -> /home/callisto/sjg
	/home/callisto -> /.amd/callisto/vol/vol2/homes

	however what I get is:

	ls: /homes/sjg/tmp: Input/output error

	the link /homes/sjg -> /home/callisto/sjg is created ok, but nothing
	is mounted, nor any link created in /home.

	If I reference /host/callisto/vol/vol2/homes/sjg/tmp it works!

	ls -ld /host/callisto/vol/vol2/homes/sjg/tmp
	drwxrwxrwt  9 sjg  software  8192 Jun  7 15:11 /host/callisto/vol/vol2/homes/sjg/tmp/

	local bits work fine:

	ls -l /home/localhost
	lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  6 Jun  8 15:38 /home/localhost@ -> hobbit

	I've tried using amd.conf to force use of udp, nfsv2 etc etc, the
	result is always the same.  ktrace doesn't show anything particularly
	interesting.

	Callisto is a netapp btw, but I get the same result with other servers.
	The client is an ultra1:

	NetBSD hobbit.juniper.net 1.5Q NetBSD 1.5Q (HOBBIT) #2: Mon Jan 29 13:51:31 PST 2001     root@hobbit.juniper.net:/u1/obj/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/HOBBIT sparc64

	any clues welcome.

First of all, I have no reason to beleive NIS works (or doesn't work
for that matter) so if you're using that you should test it out first.

Other than that, I would recommend trying to recompile the amd binaries,
and maybe the RPC libs and see if that helps any.

Eduardo