Subject: Re: keyboard support for the JavaStation-1
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/08/2001 02:34:17
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 15:08:51 -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> The JS-1 appears to have a PC keyboard and mouse, which OF won't talk
> to, and which NetBSD fails to recognize. It was my understanding that
> what we needed to do was jam the PC keyboard/mouse driver
> into/along-side the Sun keyboard/mouse driver, such that the PC
> keyboard driver would be tried before declaring attachment a failure,
> just for this beast.
>
> Where are we on that?

JS-1 come in two variants with OBP2 and OBP3 (aka OF).

OBP2 claims that it has ZS, though in fact it doesn't.  It seems it
still thinks it's an SS4.  It doesn't have a PROM node for its PCish
keyboard/mouse

OBP3 is funny in many ways, but it has the 8042 PROM node and the PROM
can actually talk to keyboard (you can set the POST jumper to IN and
break into PROM ok prompt).  NetBSD can use prom console on these,
though the keyboard input is very slow.

There's a 8042 driver in the tree - pckbc, and I hacked up working
arch/sparc/dev/pckbc_obio.c in an hour (peeking at other
architectures), but then the problem is that wscons is not documented
and I'm wading through kernel sources trying to grok how it's supposed
to be talked to.

One possibility is probably to hack up an emulation layer on top of
pckbd/pms that will talk Sun keyboard/mouse to the userland.

PS: The biggest problem with JS-1/OF is its PROM sitting at f000.0000
which sucks big time, as that's where our kernel wants to be.
Splitting userland and kernel virtual address space would solve this,
but that's a radical change.  I currently run with kernel relocated to
e800.0000 that just skips past PROM right to f008.0000 in
pmap_bootstrap4m.  At least this is a _qucik_ hack that let me work on
other problems (like pckbd :).

SY, Uwe