Subject: Re: Disk swapping
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/29/2001 10:41:15
>            Obviously the files will be easily copied over but is the boot
> manager as easy to do ?

Presumably, you mean the boot blocks?  It's very easy to do (in single-user
mode).  See the manual page installboot(8).  In summary :

	partition the new disk using disklabel(8)
	copy the files over (I use dump(8) and restore(8))
	install the boot blocks -

	assuming the new disk is sd1 -

	mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
	cd /usr/mdec
	./installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd1a

You can also use the '-v' flag for more output and the '-n' flag to check the
parameters.  To check that the new disk is bootable, you can try booting to
single-user mode from it from the PROM (e.g. boot disk1:a -s).

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/