Subject: Re: JavaStation1 saga continues
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/2001 07:50:44
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 20:35:17 -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

>  > 8042 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x300060 not configured
>
> Huh, PC keyboard controller.  All this time I had assumed that they
> put the PC keyboard on a Zilog SCC.

OBP2 box gives:

zs1 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 12 softpri 6
kbd0 at zs1 channel 0
ms0 at zs1 channel 1

I'm not a hardware guy, so I don't have a clue whether that was
actually true or not and can't tell by looking into the box ;-) (and
my OBP2 box is lent out anyway).  Pete can probably calrify this.

> A pckbc attachment should be easy for this.  Looks like NetBSD/sparc
> is gonna have to get wscons sooner than it thought :-)
>
> BTW, then a compat shim could be written to emulate Sun "fbio" on
> wscons, so the X servers could all Just Work.

Hey, this thing doesn't even boot yet ;-).  Given the pathologic OBP
in this box (weird location, no CPU node etc), I'm somewhat cautious
as integrating support (read: special casing) for this chimera going
to be a pain.

BTW, how much does kernel virtual space relocation cost?  I mean, if I
move the kernel to, say, E8 (to avoid alignment problems) and keep
virtual_avil at F008000 (past the OBP), what penalty it will incur?
Is it possible to preserve that stupid OBP mapping by other means?

SY, Uwe