Subject: Re: MMU problems (Was: JavaStation w/ OBP3 - some progress)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/2001 15:02:27
On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 02:06:22 -0400, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> PK thinks that ``JS1 seems to be a "transient" machine'',

That was my phrase.

> so I am sure he'll be happy to learn that all IIep based
> JavaStations are the same.

;-)

> Uwe, like I said, use PROLL and be happy. It's not that
> bad a kludge. Well, it's GPLed. Big deal! You complile
> with GPLed compiler too :)

Nah!  Since PROLL is an OBP emulator the infamous flame about the
meaning of "linking" gets a whole new twist!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Seriously, though - I haven't said I'm dead against using PROLL.  It's
just that I found OpenFirmware support already in the NetBSD tree.
Since I have a very vague understanding of both PROLL and NetBSD
kernel, the only way to learn more and make an informed decision is to
go try it.  I need to understand what NetBSD wants from PROM anyway to
get PROLL tailored to suit its needs.

Hmm for a crazy idea - what about still having kernel in F0 region,
but at f008.0000, skipping the two segments occupied by OBP,
effectively hiding OBP pages within kernel .  The convenient trick
with copying L1 entry when relocating to high virtual won't work and
secondary boot will need some hacking but that seems interesting.

SY, Uwe