Subject: Re: 1.5 oddities
To: Steve Doyle <paiste@zen.spodnet.uk.com>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/11/2001 23:09:27
On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 11:04:12AM +0100, Steve Doyle wrote:

> Bit the bullet and loaded 1.5 onto one of the spare SS1's I have.
>
> All well and good, kernel rebuilt and the machine is now running as a
> dialup gateway and firewall at home, and doing a grand job of things :)

I have it installed on my Sparcstation 5.  It ran 1.4.2 for months and
the upgrade to 1.5 was relatively smooth.  Picked up some decent
performance bennies in the move, probably due to the filesystem
speedups.

> I can't help but think I have done something daft here with everything
> else working well, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else had any
> similar problems.

Not sure how similar, but since going to 1.5 I cannot keep dhcpd
running.  It seg faults after just a few seconds to a few minutes.
I had to write a shell script to restart it continuously until I can
find another solution.

My named seems to work, but I also have problems with it.  Not really
sure as it's not anything I can repeat.  It's just that sometimes it
will not answer queries.  No error, it just never answers.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist