Subject: Re: lyx (was: xforms )
To: Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Tim Franklin <tim@pelican.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/10/2001 19:12:43
On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 11:11:12AM +0100, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:

> yes i did a sup for pkgsrc current before i started the compile and left it
> compiling when i went home. unfortunately... as you suggested in an earlier
> mail, it choked with the following message... 'virtual memory exhausted'. how
> annoying! is that a leak or will more swap space solve the problem? my classic
> has 48MB in simms and the following swap:
>
> potomac: {13} swapctl -lk
> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
> /dev/sd0b      153916     1060   152856     1%    0
>
> i would have thought that would be plenty...

Is it just one file it barfs on compiling?  I've seen this before in both
craft and xzx, on an ss2 with 32MB physical, 128MB swap - in both cases,
compiling one file which obviously contained hairy code of some kind by hand
*with all optimization turned off* allowed the build to complete and gave
me a working program.

Might be worth a try before you start repartitioning for more swap or creating
those nasty swap files...

Regards,
Tim.