Subject: Re: SMP on NetBSD Sparc vs RedHat Linux 6.2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/09/2001 08:43:48
I got some useful answers to my initial query.

After reviewing all the BSD websites, that is the ones for FreeBSD and
OpenBSD as well as NetBSD, It became clear that while SMP kernels are
available for other architectures, they are not currently available
for SPARC. There are references to features needed for SMP kernels in
various release announcements, but I couldn't find anything on the
status or if the work for an SMP is ongoing. SPARC's are not the most
popular platform and the methodology of a universal kernal for all the
SPARC architectures has to make getting a useable SMP SPARC kernel a
challenge. Can anyone tell me if there is any work toward an SMP
SPARC kernel happening.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us