Subject: Re: New NVRAM in IPX prevents autoboot
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: Michael Maciolek <mikem@ne.cohesive.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/02/2001 19:48:34
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Rob Healey wrote:

  >	Where is the 70ns chip available from?

I've purchased these from Mouser in the past; no personal affiliation,
just a happy customer.  Here's a link to the M48T02 70 ns order page.
Caveat: unlike their 150 and 200 ns parts, the 70 does not show up as
"in stock" from Mouser right now.

http://www.mouser.com/products/detail.cfm?MPart=511-M48T02-70PC1&CustRef=&source=search

  >	I will probably try to Dremel my old chips first to see if I can
  >	get them going again.

I've done the surgical resurrection trick on my old timekeeper, and I
didn't need (and wouldn't recommend) a dremel.  The epoxy on the end
of the package tends to be quite brittle, and a small amount of force
with a swiss army knife will shatter it; then some gentle pick-action
will clean the broken epoxy fragments out, revealing the battery
contacts.

A dremel might be a little too much power for a comparatively delicate
operation; you'd want to use a very light touch.

  >	Thanks for the info! Everyone else misread the question as me not
  >	knowing about the FAQ, etc.
  >
  >	-rob

-- Mike