Subject: Re: What does this message re sd (esp0:1:0) mean?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Rebecca Ore <rebecca@ogoense.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/2001 15:19:29
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:24:59AM -0500, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> >
> > I've been seeing these over the last couple of days:
> >
> > Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd: sd0(esp0:1:0):  Check Condition on
> > CDB: 0x08 0
> > 4 d3 84 10 00
> > Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
> > Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:    INFO FIELD:  316306
> > Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x18 ASCQ 0x89
> > Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:
> >
> > The CDB fields vary and the INFO FIELD varies, but it looks like the
> > ASC/ASCQ field is the same from time to time.
>
> It means your disk has become flaky, and you should probably replace it
> before it pukes all over your shoes.

I've got another disk due to show up over the weekend, also a used
disk.  Couple of others floating around that may or may not be as
good.  It's a Sparc LX.

What's been advised is to put a new(er) drive in sd0 and jumper the
funky one to another scsi id, then do a minimal reinstall on the new
drive, and tar or dd /usr off the old drive.  Sd0 is my boot drive.

The box is for running a trial installation of INN and almost all the
INN stuff in on a second drive.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net