Subject: Re: What does this message re sd (esp0:1:0) mean?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/2001 08:30:08
> 	Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd: sd0(esp0:1:0):  Check Condition on
> 	CDB: 0x08 0
> 	4 d3 84 10 00
> 	Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
> 	Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:    INFO FIELD:  316306
> 	Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x18 ASCQ 0x89
> 	Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:
>
> Time to buy a new disk.
> Don't know what the 0x89 is but 0x18 is some type of a recovered data
> error.  If you're getting lots of them it probably means your media
> is probably going bad.  It will probably get worse until you start losing
> data.  I recommend backing everything up and replacing that disk.

While buying a new disk should certainly be put at the top of the
list, I've also seen such errors when the sector headers got old and
hard to read.  If its been many years since the last scsi format you
may want to do one and see if the disk acts more sanely after that.

There was a time when I religiously scsi-formatted my drives once
every two years.  Of course, it helps to have two drives that you
juggle the data between.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>