Subject: Re: SCSI speed in SS2 and SSClassic
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/14/2001 10:08:02
Hi,

Excuse the mix of mail here ;)

> It's also possible to put an FSBE/S (501-2015) into an SS2 to
> get Fast SCSI. They show up on eBay with regularity, and go
> for about $40 - $60.

Just my price ;)

> > An SS20 is a sun4m, and thus has the same SCSI as the Classic.  (It
might
> > be a slightly different chip rev, but it's not going to do any better
than
> > 10MB/s).
>
> Well, it seems that because of its clock (25Mhz)  it can only do
8.064MB/s

Bus clock I assume?  Dont forget SBus is 32 bits (4 bytes), so
thats really 100MB/s over the bus maximum!!  I'm sure the SCSI
controller has the brains to shuffle the data about
efficiently.

I'll leave a crappy 434Mb disk in it for local swap and use it
as an X network workstation.  Time to find a CG3/6 somewhere
then and read the Net booting faq ;)

Cheers,

- Chris.