Subject: Re: Sun Disc ID's
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Weisberg <jaw@Op.Net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/2001 14:28:30
| Built a new kernel last night, been running on generic for ages. One of
| the things I always do - is put the disk scsi id's back into the sun
| format of id3 to id0 etc.
|
| Ie:
| sd0     at scsibus? target 3 lun ?              # first SCSI disk
| sd1     at scsibus? target 1 lun ?              # second SCSI disk
| sd2     at scsibus? target 2 lun ?              # third SCSI disk
| sd3     at scsibus? target 0 lun ?              # fourth SCSI disk
|
| Anyway, I was wondering why this is not done by default on the sparc
| kernel, or at least offered or be easily available.  I cant be the only
| NetBSD sparc user who removes the dynamic allocation, it just makes no
| sense to me whatsoever .

I would say, because each of the possible methods for mapping the drives
"makes no sense whatsoever" to just as many people.

f'rinstance, your preference "makes no sense whatsoever" to me. When Sun
started doing that, way back in the day, I'd fix things to get rid of that
wacky 0<->3 mapping.

NetBSD used to distribute with both a GENERIC and a GENERIC_SCSI3 (probably
still, but I haven't checked) to cover both camps.

	--jeff