Subject: Re: Sun Disc ID's
To: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.gay-robot.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/2001 10:26:35
Simon Raahauge DeSantis drunkenly mumbled...

> And I like dynamic ordering ;). If I have two disks, one is sd0 and the
> other is sd1. Dead simple. If I add another device I should be aware of the
> ids on my bus anyway (Yes, I have been a moron and plugged in a drive that's
> ID 0 when I was booting off a drive that's ID 1, but it's not hard to avoid.

unless you are adding a second disk to a sparc5 or sparc20 or similar.  you
don't get to choose the SCSI id.  even if you can change the way the SCA
backplane is configured you shouldn't.  don't mess with what ain't broken.
but the point is, it's very easy with sun hardware to get yourself in a bad
was like this.  lots of planning ahead is sometimes needed.

cheers,

-brian