Subject: Re: SparcStation 4/300 quirks?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/07/2001 12:49:17
>                  But, before I get started on it, are there any quirks or
> gotchas in running up NetBSD on the 4/330 VME crates?

> 	Its been a while since I ran one, but they were nice boxes.
> 	Don't remember any gotchas except for the fact the boot prom drive
> 	numbering is a little bit strange the first time (IIRC you
> 	multiply the scsi ID by some offset and then add the lun)

1.5 runs fine on my 4/330, I haven't tried anything later.  The PROM boot
numbering is (hex) ID * 8 + LUN, e.g. SCSI ID 4/partition A is b sd(0,20,0).
This is mentioned in the install notes.  You can fit up to 4 half height
SCSI devices (50 pin) internally and up to 72Mb of memory (30 pin SIMM's).
Mine won't run with 4MB SIMM's on the main board, but runs fine with
8 x 1Mb on the main board and 16 x 4Mb on an expansion board.  It's a bit
noisy for home.

I did my original install by netbooting it - b le(), but it should install
from CD too.  Never tried a tape install.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/