Subject: physical memory handling changes (heads up)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/01/2001 17:40:06
I've updated the code managing physical memory (see the -current versions
of pmap.c, machdep.c, autoconf.c), resulting in these "user visible" changes:

	- the kernel's message buffer size is now 8192 (was 4096) on
	  all platforms.
	  sun4 users: the full first page is now used, since I believe
	  there's sufficient sanity checking in the message buffer
	  initialisation code to detect possible corruption by boot
	  programs. Testing shows that all is working out OK on
	  a sun 4/490

	- sun4m PROMs may allow you to not have a memory bank starting
	  at physical address 0. The NetBSD bootstrap code now also deals with
	  this, so you can plug your memory modules into any slot supported
	  by the machine's PROM.

Obviously, I can't test every possible memory configuration that might
be possible. If you encounter any problems, please drop me a note.

-pk