Subject: Re: Dial Out Modem
To: Steve Doyle <paiste@zen.spodnet.uk.com>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/01/2001 15:48:36
on 1/3/01 9:02 am, Steve Doyle at paiste@zen.spodnet.uk.com wrote:
> I cant see what else immediately springs to mind, I have had the cable
> and modem on a pc to test them and they appear to be fine.
>
> Is it possible that the serial ports themselves are dead ?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Don't take my word for this - it is just a thought...

I have a _suspicion_ (no more than that,) that the RS232 ports on a
Sparc are wired up as DCE, and on a PC as DTE.  I.e. a Sparc is a
piece of equipment expecting a terminal to be plugged in, whereas a
PC thinks it is a terminal expecting a piece of equipment to be
plugged in.

That may not have made any sense.  Anyway, the upshot is - have you
tried a Null Modem adapter when you plug the thing into the Sparc?

(If it's any help, I have a Sparc with modem and PPP, and other
than the 33k speed-limit, it works fine - so you should get there
in the end.  Unfortunately it's at home so I can't have a look at
how I have it set up...)

Cheers,
Tim.

--