Subject: Dial Out Modem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Doyle <paiste@zen.spodnet.uk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/01/2001 09:02:52
I was wondering if anyone can give me a hand with my modem problems.

I have set the modem up on serial port B of a Sparc 1+ running a generic
1.4.1 kernel, and so far have no been able to get it to play ball at all.
(Modem is a US Robotics Sportster Flash flashed to v.90) I saw the earlier
postings to this list and followed the advice, and whilst I am further on,
have still a bit to go.

The latest state of things is that trying to use cu -p modem to test
the line reports that the line is busy if you try to use /dev/ttyb and
will connect, but will accept no commands bar ~. and return no output
whatsoever if /dev/dtyb is set.

Needless to say the getty entry for /dev/ttyb in /etc/ttys has been
removed and set to off, and the speed is set to 38400 (though even trying
at 9600 has no effect).

I cant see what else immediately springs to mind, I have had the cable
and modem on a pc to test them and they appear to be fine.

Is it possible that the serial ports themselves are dead ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve.

--
:  Steve Doyle                                 paiste@zen.spodnet.uk.com :