Subject: Re: relatively cheap UltraSPARC system from Sun
To: None <>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2001 18:14:48
On 28 Feb 2001, at 8:00, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> Absolutely, but I'm not concerned with the PIII.  I was wondering if
> anyone had a "it feels much slower" type of reaction to these machines
> or

if with "these" machines you meant Intel cpus:

I had PentiumPros with 256K (or 512K, what ever the cheaper ones
had) and once tested the system with 1MB chips: I found no
difference, probably benchmarks could show some. I have a MAD
K6-III in a board with 2MB external cache. The same CPU in a
otherwise identical board with 512K did not feel slower (both with
1GB Ram). I tested Durons to CE Athlons with the same frequency,
the Durons felt marginal less speedy. Other observations with PIIIs
and Xeons are not good, as there were different environments, but I
would not call the Xeons faster. In the Intel world it is talked about
"cacheable ranges", that means depending on the cache, only parts
of the Ram can be cached.