Subject: Re: nslookups fail without fqdn. ?
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/04/2001 15:11:33
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:

# I recently tried to shift the nameserving function (DNS) from an
# INTEL to a SPARC machine. I copied and altered the various
# files, nsswitch.conf, resolv.conf, namedb etc.
#
# Trouble is that now if I ask  it to resolve a host it fails.
# If I ask it to resolve a host WITH it's fully qualified domain name
# it works. like:   "tracy.mydomain.name"  is ok, but "tracy" on it's
# own won't resolve the address. I should be able to go "ping tracy"
# alone for example.
#
# The box is at home (not here) and I can't remember now for 100%
# certain that I have:   domain "blah.blah" in my resolv.conf
# (damn it)  but, I'm pretty sure that I have.  So given that I have, is
# there anything else obvious that could be causing this problem for
# me?

domain blah.blah
nameserver a.b.c.d

...and probably good to make sure that a.b.c.d is a valid primary nameserver
for domain blah.blah.

#
# thanks, regards,
# Paul.