Subject: Re: Problems with hard drive on a Sparcstation IPC
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/2001 13:51:38
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, [ISO-8859-1] Trond Endrestøl wrote:

> Today I decided to install NetBSD/sparc 1.5 on one of our Sparcstation
> IPC.
>
> During the newfs stage when installing NetBSD, I get:
>
> (esp0:3:0): selection failed; 0 left in FIFO [intr 18, stat 83, step 3]
>
> Does somebody know what this is about?
>
> When (re)installing SunOS I see messages about the sd0 driver
> reverting to «slow SCSI cable mode» and later reverting to «async.
> mode».
>
> When SunOS has enabled «async. mode» during miniroot install, things
> move around better. (But when I boot from the miniroot, I'm back to
> square one.)
>
> Is there a way to make NetBSD switch to async. mode, or can I kiss
> this particular hard drive goodbye?

	If you can compile a kernel, you can set the flags on the
	esp device:

## The following flags may be set for the NCR53c94 based esp driver:
##      bits 0-7:  disable disconnect/reselect for the corresponding target
##      bits 8-15: disable synchronous negotiation for target [bit-8]

	To disable sync for all targets, you should be able to use:

esp0    at sbus0 slot ? offset ? flags 0xff00           # sun4c

	Though please submit a PR on this - it would obviously be better
	if NetBSD could handle it automatically. If you would be willing to
	ship the drive to someone to work with, its probably worth mentioning
	:)

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --