Subject: Re: Why so darn slow... Reverse DNS lookups
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/2001 12:22:58
On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, David Maxwell wrote:

>It's reverse DNS lookups. When you connect, your NetBSD box wants to figure
>out the NAME that goes with the IP that is asking to connect. Once it
>caches that information, connections will be fast, until the cache entry is
>timed out ("idle for an hour or so") - then the first connect will be slow again.

This is a very valid thing to look at.  I've also seen newer NetBSD
installations spin waiting for the Kerberos auth stuff to time out.
It's a little annoying that so much stuff is Kerberized by default.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a