Subject: Re: problem with boot.net and SS1
To: None <Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/14/2000 10:42:46
Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
>
> > *Please* tell me where this info is because I'm having no end
> > of trouble with my SS1+ at the moment with regard to
> > problems in the 4mb simms I'm using. At least I think the
> > trouble I'm getting is from them. I'm about to dump my SS1+
> > if I can't get the seemingly hardware/ram related problems
> > solved soon. And that would be a terrible shame...
>
> I found this messages in my archive. I could not find the message
> Chris is referencing.
>
>         rvdp

Thanks Ronald,
well I did about 6 hrs of compiling last night without any
trouble so it looks like I do have the culprit ram out of my
system.:)

Have you booted yet? How did you go checking out the
bootparamd and nfsd setup?

Paul.
....yawn ...stretch ... cough ... gasp.....
(still waiting for the coffee to restart brain cells..)

> >From chrisr@geeknet.montreal.qc.ca Wed Dec 13 08:33:26 2000
> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:00:43 -0400
> From: Chris Rupnik <chrisr@geeknet.montreal.qc.ca>
> To: port-sparc@netbsd.org
> Subject: SLC netboot 1.5_ALPHA2 boot failed
>
> Hi
>  I am getting the following error when netbooting a SLC. From the archive,
> it looks like the problem is due to the 4MB simms. I do not have the option
> to put 16MB simms on this machine to get it to boot. A couple of messages
> hint that maybe the boot from the boot-142.fs image might work.
> Unfortunately, extracting the boot-142.fs, copying the boot only yielded
> that "13c00 The file just loaded is intended for a different CPU type".
> The boot.net file is dated Aug 29 15:04, 62000bytes boot.net
>
> Here is as fas as I get:
> PROM Checksum test
> Context Reg Test
> Segment Map Test
> Sizing Memory
> Page Map Test
> Page Map Test
> Memory Test
> Mapping Interrupt & Memory Error Regs
> Probing Memory Bank #: 1 2 3 4 5
> Initializing Auxiliary Register
> Installing Timer Interrupt Handler
> Timing CPU Clock Speed
> Reset/Initialize Keyboard
> Initializing Video
> Probing SBus Slot #: 0 1 2 3
> Setting up Console Parameters
> SPARCstation SLC, No keyboard.
> ROM Rev. 1.4, 16 MB memory installed, Serial #7608510.
> Ethernet address 8:0:20:74:18:be, Host ID: 547418be.
>
> Reset/Initialize SCSI Adapter
> Enabling Interrupts
> Testing
> Testing audio chip; listen for a beep
> Synchronous Error Reg Test
> Synchronous Virtual Address Reg Test
> Asynchronous Error Reg Test
> Asynchronous Virtual Address Reg Test
> System Enable Reg Test
> Memory Test
> Cache Tag Memory Test
> Cache Data Memory Test
> Testing Complete
> Turning on Cache
> Probing Memory Bank #: 1 2 3 4 5
> Scrub Memory and Set Mappings
> Booting from: le(0,0,0)
> 13200 >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.9
> >> (root@dora.int.purplei.com, Fri Aug 25 05:44:39 BST 2000)
> Booting netbsd
> Illegal Instruction
> ok