Subject: Re: sparcstation network boot, dead NVRAM
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/05/2000 09:27:57
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:

: I just briefly wrote some crappy values to the NVRAM like
: the web page suggests and the IDPROM err msg went
: away. BUT the same network problem still exists. I probably
: need to read the page alot more carefully but I just wanted
: to confirm that I must fix this NVRAM problem in
: order to fix the network problem?  yey/ney?

Yes.

Your Ethernet address needs to be in the form 08:00:20:AA:BB:CC (where AA,
BB, CC are up to you -- these are placeholders).  The following two commands
will set this value, for a given hexadecimal AA, BB, and CC:

ok 0 f mkp
ok 8 0 20 AA BB CC AABBCC mkpl
(press Ctrl-D then Ctrl-R; should return with "ok" prompt and NO Sun
copyright message)

You may also need:

ok setenv diag-switch? false

After that point, netbooting should be no problem.  The correct boot command
for the SS2 should be simply:

ok boot net

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/