Subject: Re: apologies: Re: EXB-4200c, the continuing saga...
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/05/2000 08:20:36
On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Greywolf wrote:

[gratuitous snip]

> Will do.  Hopefully will have a new drive next week.
>
> At this point, the drive isn't even accepting tapes, so I suspect a serious
> hardware failure.

Strange - I had a 4200c which worked "okay" with NetBSD 1.4, however, it
exhibited some problems which Exabyte claimed would be fixed by upgrading
the drive's firmware (it incorrectly rejected some types of tapes - tapes
which I've got about 40 of ;-).

Upgrading the firmware on the drive caused it to spit out _every_ tape
I've attempted to feed it.  Even after cleanings (tape and physical - no
dust left over in this drive!) the tape just barfed up whatever I fed
it.  Picky picky picky.

It's now in a static bag, awaiting resurrection or death.

> If not, the point is moot.  I'm just tired of dealing with 8mm tapes --
> they're taking up too much space, but I still have the drive so I can fall
> back to that mode if need be.

heh.  I'm in the same situation.  My 4mm works great, but if I ever need a
backup from a number of months ago, I'm out a few ducets as I'd have to
find another 8mm.

--
Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."