Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4.3 On Sparcstation 2
To: Lloyd I Freese Jr <dwarf@op.net>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/2000 10:26:54
Lloyd I Freese Jr wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> Thanks for getting back to me.
> I had a thought and I wanted to throw it out to the list.
> I was wondering if The computer that needs it's firmware updated?
> I know on PC's there have been problems with old BIOS versions
> stopping OS's from working right. Could it be something like that?

I don't think so. But I don't know for sure. Like you say post
to the list to see if someone knows. In fact I'll take the liberty
of cc'ing this to the list if you don't mind. To me it sounds like
boot blocks, boot sectors. Something wrong doing bad checksum.
Why I don't know as the install was all by the netbsd install
program.  Perhaps you could try booting with Solaris/sunos and
then building a netbsd disk by hand. Like untar the stuff manually
into a disk you prepare manually, disklabel etc. Then install the
bootblocks manually.  I am assuming that you can boot netbsd
with a floppy or cdrom and go out to a shell that is!:) so that
you can run the newfs and installboot commands.

cheers,
Paul.